Thursday, February 8, 2007

Port of Call No. 1: San Juan, Puerto Rico

February 7, 2007 Port of Call: San Juan Puerto Rico:

Today we pulled into port around 0800. I, of course, was eating breakfast on deck 6 and watched the whole docking process over fresh fruit and coffee. Okay, enough bragging…we were all lucky enough to be greeted in the Student Union by the Governor of Puerto Rico, equivalent to our dearest Georgy. Desmond even attended the ceremony. Afterwards I went on a tour of Old and New San Juan, which I don’t recommend, because it was nothing but touristy sight seeing. We went to San Cristobal for some photo ops and then into Old San Juan. In the sake of time we skipped the New San Juan part of the tour, but I got to see it later this evening. I had a delicious Cuban sandwich in the town square (the name of which escapes me, four seasons square maybe???) and bought some post cards, which you all will be receiving shortly!

The tour was mediocre compared to hiking in El Yunque, the only tropical rainforest in the U.S.’s forestry registry (as Puerto Rico is a free associated state and Hawaiian rainforests fall under the Hawaiian registry). Unfortunately my camera's battery decided to die, so I have no pictures. Anyway, El Yunque lies inland, with the lowlands of Puerto Rico constituting the coastline. Also, while it usually rains in the morning and then stays hazy and muggy all day, we had sunshine! The flora was amazing--weathervane trees that turn the mountain white when it rains (the wind blows the silvery undersides of the leaves up), Candlewood Trees (a natural insect repellant, because it seeps this citronella type wax), banana and mango trees, giant ferns, red and pink ginger flowers, African Tulip trees, African Laurel trees that are over 200 years old, and 38 different kinds of orchids! The Cocqui frogs chirp constantly and water falls throughout the mountains create a kind of constant rush sound--the forest sounds like one of those relaxation tapes, only the real thing...

Driving up the mountain was an adventure in and of itself. The road was so narrow and wandering that to avoid being in a head on collision with the vehicles coming down it, the bus driver just layed on the horn for the 15 minute ride. Also, so that the vehicle we were riding in wouldn’t lose horsepower while climbing the mountain, we had to turn off the a/c and open the windows. I actually preferred the breeze, but the point adds character to the jaunt. Once we got there we hiked through El Yunque for about 2 hours before returning back to the pier. I had just enough time to shower and get back on a bus headed to La Universidad de la Puerto Rico, for a welcome reception. We were greeted by students and pina coladas! On the way there I saw the Roberto Clemente baseball field, Puerto Rico was playing the Dominican Republic... Go Buccos?! Anyway, the night was spent learning (or attempting to learn) how to dance the salsa, and eating delicioso Puerto Rican food.





February 8, 2007
0900



I am sitting in an Internet Cafe in Isla Verde, Puerto Rico. It's not actually an island, but rather a beachy neighborhood about fifteen minutes away from the dock. Cabs wait outside of the ship, and when K-lee and I tried to get one we had a little misunderstanding--keep in mind that my spanish (four years in high school) is a little rusty. We thought the cab driver was telling us that the ride would cost $89.00, and that there was not a bus from San Juan to Isla Verde--i.e. we were SOL. It turns out he was saying $19.00--with a thick accent, so we took the taxi! I tried to chat with him a little bit "eer mi llamo es Lidia", etc. I asked him where he was from--the Dominican...

We are going to relax on la playa here until around three this afternoon and then go to a pelea de gallo--a cock fight! Cock fighting is the national sport here, and I suppose it will probably make me sick to my stomach, but hey, when in Rome... Later this evening the students that we visited with last night are coming onto the MV Explorer, and it just so happens that the mascot of La Universidad de la Puerto Rico is a rooster! We had wanted to do the Bioluminescent Bay (Wikipedia that one) but all of the guide companies are booked.

After being onboard for a few days, and almost getting used to the ship moving, stepping foot on land produced a new problem, which I will call land sickness--it still feels like I'm on the ship, which is causing me to wobble around and look like a goofball. So I haven’t acquired my sea legs yet....

For now I'm off to the beach!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lydia I'm so glad that your a wonderful writer! Those entrys are amazing! ..ah!! so exciting..life is happening! o by the way the reason that you saw my name on a sign is because...I'm really on the ship..room 215 come visit..